Friday, May 21, 2010

Employer Superstar Award


Work has really been challenging lately, and it always renews the spirit when given recognition for something that you are passionate about. Last week my spirit was renewed when I received an award for Employer Superstar for employing adults with special needs. It was personally give to me by Senator Lou Correa. Although it is always great to get awards, the true reward is working everyday with these special people. I think at times employers can get frustrated about what special employees can't do. I try to capitalize on what they can do. Find their niche and let them run with it. Every once in a while I will challenge them with a new task. Sometimes they are not able to do it, but sometimes they surprise me and are hugely successful. Then they have a new job they can work on! Here are just a few of my very special employees: From the top is Geoffrey, he has worked with me for almost 3 years. Next is Evan and his amazingly patient job coach Justin. Most of these employees would not be able to be employed if it were not for their tireless job coaches. They bring them to work and help them do all of their tasks. Evan and I argue once in a while about dumping my trash. I don't let him take it if it's empty, but he insits that he dumps it. Then I have to tell him "I am the Boss" to which he replies, "No I AM THE BOSS". This will go on for 10 or so rounds, and he will eventually give up. Next is Tanya, she is the best restroom attendant I have ever had. Every day she comes in make sure everything is cleaned and stocked. I love how she gets so concerned when we are running low on supplies, maybe I will teach her to order them someday. Lastly is Justin, he is so outgoing! Maybe a little too outgoing! He is a talker, but also very good with computers and technical things. I am hoping at some point I can train him to monitor the self checkout station, but that also invloes major social skills because you have to deal with customers, so we will see. I have so many more wonderful employees, there is just not enough room to mention!
Thanks for looking!
-Denise

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Denise! This is really awesome and inspiring :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Denise! You are a superstar. How wonderful to be able to work with these special people. Thanks for what you do! Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so so awesome, Denise. I'm very glad I know such a altruistic and compassionate person. Thank you for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Denise and what a special group of employees you have. Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise - I wish more employers were like you! You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete