Monday, October 20, 2014

Clearsnap and Stencil Girl Blog Hop- Hand Dyed Fabric Pillow


I am on a quilting kick right now and although I am primarily a paper craft designer- I am always looking for ways to combine materials and techniques. Today I am playing with these two cool 9x12inch over sized stencils from StencilGirl:

Bubbles
Marrakesh Mix
I thought they would make a very cool hand dyed fabric. But since I am experimenting, I decided to start small and do a patchwork pillow- incorporating my hand dyed fabric into it. I used a resist technique and Izink Pigment, but you can also use any Clearsnap Pigment ink refill, or you can directly ink on the fabric with Colorbox Crafters Ink. Here is how I do the technique:
{first, you will want to spray the BACK of your stencil with repositionable fabric adhesive. Did you know there is a front and back to stencils? Just look closely on one of the corners you will see a manufacturers mark of some sort, thats the top!}

{lay your Stencil on top of a piece of muslin that is cut slightly larger than the stencil. Take some white acrylic paint and brush over the stencil. The white will act as the resist when we dye the fabric}


{I set up my dyes by dropping 3-4 drops into some small plastic containers. I use my melamine cutting board as a work surface, but a cookie sheet would work too}

{get the fabric immersed, and then lay out on the work surface}

{Now the dip in the dye is just to get the fabric wet and to allow the color to bleed. Now take the Izink dropper and drag over the fabric like show}

{now twist it to get the dye all soaked in (i know I should have done the demo with the blue-looks like a bloody mess!}

{Roll Fabric back out, and dab off excess ink from the stencil resist portion}

{Repeat with your other color. Hang out to dry making sure the drip area is over grass or dirt. When dry, press with a steam iron}
Sorry I didn't get more pics- but I go zoo into making this little pillow! Basically I cut the hand dyed fabric into 3- 2.5x9 inch strips, then used some of my on hand scraps for the rest.

{if you want to make your own I followed this free tutorial from DREAM PATCH HERE


{I quilted with a contrasting red to get my dyes fabric to stand out even more}


For the back I used and inexpensive screened cotton fabric- it mimic the resist technique on front

{Its just a little pillowcase pocket opening on the back for each cleaning}

Puffy Loves his new pillow, and I love it for sitting my laptop on when it gets to hot o my lap!

SUPPLIES:
white acrylic paint
Muslin
Foam Brush
Extra fabric and Batting
Pre made pillow form





52 comments:

  1. What a beautiful beautiful pillow you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS! I love quilting! Great way to design your own fabric...thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pillow! Thank you for sharing this fabric dying technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never thought of using those inks on fabric LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your pillow project thanks for tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful pillow, love how you used the stencils

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Stencils and pillows...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pillow is just AMAZING!!! Thanks so much for playing with us at StencilGirl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pillow! Thanks for sharing your project and process.

    puffinliz at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pillows are beautiful! Thanks for the instructions for resist-dyeing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pillow! Thanks for sharing the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so simple...well, the dying does. The cushion is quite lovely. Thanks for the info.

    jo.murray.art(at)gmail (dotcom)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the cushion is lovely thanks for sharing

    manicros(at)hotmail(dotuk)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome technique, and a simply gorgeous pillow! The dyed fabric looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Now I want to try dying fabric. Thanks for the inspiration … and for sharing your gorgeous project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! What a wonderful pillow! I think I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my, that pillow is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the tut- I love the pillow cover- nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty pillow! I love the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never thought about using inks on fabric! How awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Janelle R

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an inviting pillow -- truly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This turned out lovely! Great and simple Techniques! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful project. I have always wished I could sew, don't own a sewing machine because I was never good at it. Your project turned out fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the marrakech stencil. Your pillow is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea and the result is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great technique and beautiful product. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful idea!! I'm so excited to try that! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. amazing project, thanks for sharing how do you do!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your pillow is so
    very pretty!
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  30. thanks for sharing the details on making this pillow. It is so bright and vibrant. Love the two-colored stitching.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love mixing fabric with Stencil Girl stencils.. using Colorsnap inks and dyes will be my next purchase! Thanks for sharing the techniques..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful! I love painting fabric so this will be added to my box of tricks for sure, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fabulous inspiration today!!! Could use this technique to make a myriad of things! Thank you for sharing all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the colors and the way they define the spaces!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Would love to try and compare this ink tomothers I have and see which I like better.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I LOVE THIS PILLOW project.! As a sewer/quilter and paper crafter, I always appreciate inspiration for how to push my supply stash into more mixed media uses.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a gorgeous one of a kind pillow you have created! Love with fabric and fibers :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great way to make an original print for sewing projects.
    Thank you for sharing your great tutorial. Very clear and easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your pillow is stunning and thanks for sharing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow.. That is neat. Thanks for the step by step. I had no idea you could do that. Beautiful pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such great way to use acrylic ink! Could you comment on how well they hold up to cleaning (e.g. washing)?
    Thanks. sandmstarke (at) comcast (dot net)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for showing us your beautiful pillow! I love the colors and pattern! deardeniseh (at) yahoo (dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love this! What a gorgeous project!
    heather_warner_ma(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lovely products... I love your ideas and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete